On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 5:19 AM, mathieu stumpf guntz <
psychosl...@culture-libre.org> wrote:

> According to lua wiki <http://lua-users.org/wiki/Lua
> Locales%20In%20Lua%205.1>, in Lua 5.1 "identifiers [are] locale
> dependent, and from the reference manual which states that "[the
> documentation] derived from the Lua 5.1 reference manual <
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/index.html>", I guess tha Scribunto is
> still derived form Lua 5.1.

That's correct.

> So, what I would like is being able to set the locale for a module and use
> identifiers with locale characters. But `os.setlocale` isn't accessible in
> scribunto modules.

Allowing os.setlocale would very likely cause problems on threaded
webservers where one thread's locale change stomps on another's. It might
even cause trouble for subsequent requests on non-threaded servers if the
locale doesn't get reset, or for other code running during the same request
(e.g. see T107128 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107128>).

For sanity's sake, on Wikimedia wikis we use C.UTF-8 as the OS-level
locale. This doesn't affect much since MediaWiki usually uses its own i18n
mechanisms instead of using the locale.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer