On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 11:19:57AM -0700, Bryan Davis wrote:
> We could probably add checks for some common ones if someone compiled a list.
>
> Running a full spell check would be difficult because of the number of
> false positives there would be based on a "normal" dictionary. Commit
> messages often contain technical jargon (maybe something to try and
> avoid) and snippets of code  (e.g. class names like
> TemplatesOnThisPageFormatter) that would not be in any traditional
> dictionary that we could count on being on the local host.

Debian's lintian (lint tool for packages) has a check for common
typos/misspellings in its informational mode. The package ships with
/usr/bin/spellintian which is a simple spellchecker that can run
independently.

The benefit of using spellintian over e.g. aspell is that it addresses
the issues you already identified: a) it just identifies typos, not
complaining on unknown words it doesn't know, b) it's been created from
observing typos in source code and package descriptions in the wild, so
it's tailored to technical jargon and their misspellings. It could be a
good fit to git commit messages.

That doesn't mean it's free of false positives though, so I wouldn't
recommend to use it in a voting check in a CI pipeline.

Faidon