(Volunteer hat on)

I'm a little sad we didn't find a place for this in the Wikipedia apps or
web products, but I plan to maintain a labs instance going forward:
https://wikipedia-trending.wmflabs.org/
And a web presentation with a push notification feature (which notified be
this morning of the death of Ed Lee
<https://trending.wmflabs.org/en.wikipedia/Ed%20Lee%20(politician)>):
https://trending.wmflabs.org/

This is a little inferior to the production version as it is unable to use
production kafka and if it has any outages it will lose data.

I'm hoping to get this onto IFTTT <https://ifttt.com/wikipedia> with help
from Stephen Laporte in my volunteer time, as I think this feature is a
pretty powerful one which has failed to find its use case in the wiki
world. As Kaldari points out it's incredibly good at detecting edit wars
and I personally have learned a lot about what our editors see as important
and notable in the world (our editors really seem to like wrestling). I
think there are ample and exciting things people could build on top of this
api.

The gadget script is crude (as there is no way to install a service worker
via a user script) but will continue to work if you want to try it (but
Firefox only) -  I just updated it to use the new endpoint.

I will continue to explore trending's place in the Wikimedia universe :)