The 7.0 requirement is due to phan 0.8. You could try changing the version
of phan to a higher one (I used phan 0.8 originally because thats what
Wikimedia used in their continous integration setup. Which in retrospect
really didn't matter). I have not tried it with higher versions of phan. I
have no idea how stable the phan plugin api is, so it could totally work
with higher versions of phan - I have no idea. That is really something I
should test.

You should be able to co-install both versions of php beside each other,
with the php 7.0 binary named php7.0 instead of php. On macs homebrew will
let you do this, and I assume other installation methods will let you do
this too.

Thanks,
Brian

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Continuous_integration/Phan#Dependencies
>> for how to install php 7.0 if your system doesn't have it.
>
> I'm interested in trying it. However, I'm on macOS with php 7.1.1 and
reluctant to downgrade to php 7.0 or set up a virtual machine just for
this. Has anybody tried it wih macOS and/or php 7.1.1?