" I remember a situation when I posted a fix for a script in the
MediaWiki namespace
as an {{edit request}}, and a well-meaning administrator tried to "improve"
my line of code and forgot a comma, breaking all JavaScript for all
logged-in as well as not logged-in Wikipedia editors and readers for some
painful minutes"

Everyone makes mistakes.  I presume that under this revised proposal, that
administrator would still have had JS edit permission, and might have still
made the mistake.  I mean, they apparently knew JS well enough to have been
able to pass whatever test would have been required to get that permission
added to their account.

Perhaps we need a real test environment of some sort, so that changes like
that must be run on the test server for X [time period] before being pushed
to live?  Changes can't happen on live until there's some sort of consensus
that the test code actually works as run -- any additional changes reset
the test time period counter before it can be pushed to live.

Bart Humphries
bart.humphr...@gmail.com
(909)529-BART(2278)