Hi,

Moriel Schottlender <mschottlender at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> This isn't a personal attack, it's a consequence to your earlier email.
>
> You stated yourself, that one of the reasons you don't think a COC.md file
>  should exist in your repository is because not all interactions are
covered
>  by it. While that might be true technically-speaking, it does make a
>  statement to potential contributors about what they might expect in terms
>  of feeling safe and secure with a CoC in place.
>
>  For those of us who "bad interaction online" are a norm rather than an
edge
>  case, a statement that the CoC is not fully covering a space means we
don't
>  go to that space if we can help it.
>
>  Saying that one does not intend on touching a space where the maintainer
>  clearly stated the CoC is only partially in effect is not a personal
attack
>  -- it's a consequence of what you said.
>  A consequence that is also shared by others who may feel less comfortable
>  speaking up on public threads, but would avoid going into such spaces all
>  the same. Not because of who you are personally, but because of what your
>  statement about how your space is governed means.
>
>  Whatever other claims and discussion is going on in this and the other
>  thread, let's not try to make it sound like there's a personal attack
going
>  on here.

No, I still think it's a personal attack. I think we've already established
that the CoC does not cover all interactions, and that the CoC.md file is
thus giving false information. Some people have stated that clearly, some
have grudgingly admitted it, but no one has really argued against it. Even
you note that it's "technically" true, whatever exactly that means.

And of course, this file was put in place by a few developers - it wasn't
an opt-in choice. (It's still not 100% clear that it's even an "opt-out"
choice, though at this point it seems to be.)

Given those two things, the presence of a CoC.md file in an extension
directory tells a potential contributor nothing - nothing about additional
security they're getting, and nothing really about the extension's
developers. Actually, it's worse than nothing, because it gives potential
contributors false comfort as far as the protections they'll have. If, as
you say, some people face a real danger of harassment everywhere not
covered by a code of conduct, then it's all the more reason to either
remove that file, or reword it, everywhere - so people know what they're
actually getting into.

So, why should Amir want to avoid dealing with my code specifically? Is it
because he would have fewer protections? Clearly, no. It must be something
about me personally that would make him treat my code differently from
everyone else's.

-Yaron