TL;DR:
Check https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Krinkle/Unused_config and
help remove variables.

Hi,

I wrote a script to detect unused wmf-config code. [1] Specifically, unused
settings and conditional blocks for configuration that no longer exists in
MediaWiki.

The script cross-references any wg- identifiers in wmf-config with
Legoktm's Codesearch tool [2] and reports those that have no matches
outside wmf-config. [1]

I've submitted and deployed a few patches already. [3]

Check out the list of matches at <
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Krinkle/Unused_config>.

Look for ones relevant to your area of expertise, and confirm that they're
unused, then submit patches for their removal. You can enlist them for
SWAT, or use the tag "cleanup" and I or others may deploy them for you.

I'll run the script again sometime later, but in the mean time, feel free
to edit the page to strike-out or remove entries that you've dealt with.

Best,
-- Krinkle

[1] Source code:
https://gist.github.com/Krinkle/15be368abdbf918c8ef7a06cde011457