https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2018-09-05

*=2018-09-05=*
== Callouts ==
* SRE:

Switchover/Switchback dates reminder. *I**t's next week!*

Services: Tuesday, September 11th 2018 14:30 UTC
Media storage/Swift: Tuesday, September 11th 2018 15:00 UTC
Traffic: Tuesday, September 11th 2018 19:00 UTC
MediaWiki: Wednesday, September 12th 2018: 14:00 UTC

Switchback:

Traffic: Wednesday, October 10th 2018 09:00 UTC
MediaWiki: Wednesday, October 10th 2018: 14:00 UTC
Services: Thursday, October 11th 2018 14:30 UTC
Media storage/Swift: Thursday, October 11th 2018 15:00 UTC

IMPORTANT: For the duration of the switchover (1 month), please refrain
from large db schema changes and please avoid deploying any kind of new
feature that requires creation of tables.
IMPORTANT: There will be a train freeze in the week of Sept 10th and Oct
8th.
* Fundraising campaigns
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Calendar
* RelEng -> Language:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/integration/config/+/450508/

Release Engineering: No train next week, DC switchover

== Audiences ==

=== Contributors ===
==== Community Tech ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** No update.

==== Anti-Harassment Tools ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates: Partial blocks RFC's last call ends today at 2pm PST. We could
use help on reviewing the new blocking code. Stack of commits here (and
dependents): https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/core/+/440871/
**

==== Editing ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
** Updates:
** No update

==== Growth ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** No update.

==== Language ====
* Blocked by:
** RelEng: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/integration/config/+/450508/
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** ContentTranslation version 2 work continues.

=== Readers ===
==== iOS native app ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Working on 6.1 (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/ios-app-v6.1-narwhal-on-a-bumper-car/)
** Wikidata editing + some bug fixes. Investigating our bigger editing goals

==== Android native app ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Completed user testing of navigation updates.
** Completed notifications, to be released within ~1 week

==== Readers Web ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Mobile website (MinervaNeue / MobileFrontend):
*** Page issues
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Mobile_Page_Issues
**** Bug fixing: T203386 T203050 T202568 T203449 T202349 T202940
**** New / old treatment A/B test can be seen here
https://readers-web-master.wmflabs.org/wiki/Pharmacovigilance?mobileaction=toggle_view_mobile
*** Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue frontend architecture
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Invest_in_the_MobileFrontend_%26_MinervaNeue_frontend_architecture
**** Introduce Webpack and QUnit to MobileFrontend T199452 T202742
**** Client side error reporting for Minerva+MobileFrontend T202026
*** Avoid abrupt and jarring white flash in media viewer: T197110
*** Other fixes: T202374 T202701
** Desktop website (Popups):
*** Maintenance: T203013 T202748
** PDF rendering (Proton)
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/PDF_Functionality
*** Improve Chromium halt behavior T181623
** Product and design are continuing advanced mobile contributions
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Advanced_mobile_contributions

==== Readers Infrastructure ====
* Blocked by:
** Language Team – Reverting https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T199941 via
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/Babel/+/446766 resolution
so we can un-revert MW core
* Blocking:
** None known.
* Updates:
** Maps, MCS, PCS: Nothing particularly exciting.
** ReadingLists: Finishing tests case and incresing coverage, both service
(RESTbase) and extension (T184545 and T184544).

==== Multimedia ====
* Updates
** design review on SDoC search prototype
** structured data on File page - multi-lingual captions
** next - MCR integration

==== Parsing ====
* Blocked by: None
* Blocking: None
* Updates: Team offsite coming up week of Sept 10th through 15th

==== UI Standardization ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** No update.

== Technology ==
=== Analytics ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
    ** Testing out presto (facebook OS project, extremely fast SQL query
engine for hadoop). This will be the datastore we deploy to cloud
environment once we make public the edit data lake data. We will be
creating a debian install
    ** IRC meeting about modern event data platform, RFC to decide the use
cases the initial mvp for schema registry will support.
    ** We will be deploying new code to API to be able to serve edit
metrics “per project family” such us: “Edited pages for all wikipedias or
all wikibooks”, later these metrics will be surfaced on wikistats UI
    ** As of today we will be computing pageviews for
usability.wikimedia.org and strategy.wikimedia.org
    **  Doing some experiments with systemd timers versus cron.

=== Cloud Services ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** No update.

=== Fundraising Tech ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** CiviCRM
*** Trying to speed up donation import
*** Fixing UI bugs
** Various things to let people opt-in to email lists
** Bug fixes for recurring donations
** Using stretch/PHP7 for payment notification listener, testing it for
payments-wiki
** Final touches on CentralNotice / Landing page stats pipeline

=== MediaWiki Core Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Continuing to review stakeholder inputs for Tech Conf
** Lots of work towards phan-taint-check-plugin being voting for all
deployed extensions + skins
** "Don't throw an exception when waiting for replication times out" merged
** Research storage for recommendation API (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T203039)
** Officially deploying the stable summary endpoint
** Parsoid content negotiation
** Work on job queue for deleting pages with many revisions,
GuzzleHttpRequest, PoolCounter, and PHPUnit test improvements
** fixcopyright.wikimedia.org

=== Performance ===
* Blocked by:
**
* Blocking:
**
* Updates:
** No update.

=== Release Engineering ===
* Blocked by:
** None.
* Blocking:
** None.
* Updates:
** Train:
*** 1.32.0-wmf.20 at group 1, no problems
*** on European time this week
*** No train next week, DC switchover
** Log Health:
*** Exception thrown for failure to save settings appears ~ 1000 times/day:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T202149[Contribution?]
*** labtestweb2001 is sending updates to a read-only db host: db2037:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T201082 [Cloud Services?]
*** ErrorException from line EducationProgram PHP Notice: Undefined
variable: retValue: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T203577 [?]

=== Research ===
* Blocked by: None
* Blocking: None
* Updates:
** Sent out reminder emails to collect more data (2nd stage of the
experiment) for the Elicit new editor interests research:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Voice_and_exit_in_a_voluntary_work_environment/Elicit_new_editor_interests#Stats_and_study_condition
** Starting data collection for the CitationUsage schema today (had to
delay last week):
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/operations/mediawiki-config/+/454854/
** Continuing discussion about storage for the Recommendation API:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T203039

=== Scoring Platform ===
* Blocked by: None
* Blocking: None
* Updates:
** Working on PoolCounter support continues, tested on labs, ready for
poduction

=== Search Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Removed indexing of empty tokens:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192502
** Enabled loading categories from daily diffs on internal cluster:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T201217
** Working on improving Korean analyzers:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T178925
** Working on running multiple Elastic instances on the same hardware:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193654
** Working on searching for Wikidata statement values without additional
keywords: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T163642
** Working on ES 6.3 upgrade: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T197960
** Working on query parsing refactoring:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185108

=== Security ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:T177765: New service request: chromium-render/deploy
* Updates:
**Should be resolved by end of week per engineer

=== Site Reliability Engineering ===
* Blocked by:
** None
* Blocking:
** None
* Updates:
Switchover/Switchback dates reminder

Services: Tuesday, September 11th 2018 14:30 UTC
Media storage/Swift: Tuesday, September 11th 2018 15:00 UTC
Traffic: Tuesday, September 11th 2018 19:00 UTC
MediaWiki: Wednesday, September 12th 2018: 14:00 UTC

Switchback:

Traffic: Wednesday, October 10th 2018 09:00 UTC
MediaWiki: Wednesday, October 10th 2018: 14:00 UTC
Services: Thursday, October 11th 2018 14:30 UTC
Media storage/Swift: Thursday, October 11th 2018 15:00 UTC

IMPORTANT: For the duration of the switchover (1 month), please refrain
from large db schema changes and please avoid deploying any kind of new
feature that requires creation of tables.
IMPORTANT: There will be a train freeze in the week of Sept 10th and Oct
8th.

== Wikidata ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** No update.

== German Technical Wishlist ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** No update.

== Multi-Content Revisions ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Last task for phase 2 (file caption support) nearing completion
** Phase 3 (statement support) tasks in progress
** CI issues with deployment fixed and deployment moving forward

== SoS Meeting Bookkeeping ==
* Updates:
**