Hello,
ORES has policy that no more than four parallel connections per IP should
be requesting the service. We weren't enforcing this policy and that caused
several outages before.

As of today if there is more than four connections per IP, the responses
after fourth one will be throttled and will be slower, and after seventh
connection, ORES just responds with immediate time out error.

This might affect CloudVPS and Toolforge users who connect to ORES from
there but there are several IPs coming from the cloud and looking at
request statistics, this limit is bigger than the usage. But if you are
having trouble using ORES in the cloud, let me know so I add those IPs to
the whitelist.

This limit only applies to external connections and it should not affect
internal requests coming from mediawiki or the change propagation service.

For more information, please read https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160692
and file a task against ORES project in phabricator in case anything is
wrong.

Happy scoring!
Best
--
Amir Sarabadani
Software Engineer

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.