On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 6:35 PM Amir E. Aharoni <
amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> Of course, it's more difficult to extend cascading protection to Wikidata
> because Wikidata is a different wiki (even Commons images are not included
> in cascading protection last time I checked). Nevertheless, it should be a
> goal.

I'm not so sure of that. Some admin on a tiny, little-watched wiki then
could cascade-protect arbitrary Commons images and Wikidata items by
overusing cascade protection despite not having adminship on Commons or
Wikidata.

> And maybe—just maybe—getting blocked on one wiki could make one
> automatically blocked on wikis that are common repositories, such as
> Commons and Wikidata (and perhaps Meta), although this should be
> reversible.

Same problem.

We'd likely wind up having to have Stewards start policing the use of
cascade protection and blocking on all wikis to adjudicate whether one
wiki's use of cascade protection or blocking was really trying to disrupt
Commons/Wikidata/Meta.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer