On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:29 AM Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] Are there any upcoming plans for systematic
> study or development of WMF-to-public communications processes from
> Audiences and Technology?

Not quite the same thing, but touches on communication:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Growth_and_diversity_of_Technology_team_audiences

There are a couple existing ways to learn about new developments, though.
There is Tech News (focused on immediate user-facing changes), quarterly
department checkins (focused on the big picture and progress of annual plan
goals and other large projects), most teams have a monthly or sometimes
weekly newsletter and/or on-wiki updates page, there are some regular
showcases (research and more recently language), and people write blog
posts about larger or more interesting developments on Phabricator and the
WMF blog. (The discoverability of all of these things could certainly be
improved.) And if you are sufficiently interested in a specific team, team
Phabricator boards are public.