Hello!

Is your organization interested in hosting and co-organizing the 2020
Wikimedia Hackathon? We are looking for co-organizers!

Details about the decision process can be found here:

   -

   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons/2020_Decision_Process
   -

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons/Proposing_a_hackathon#Hackathon_location_decision_process_for_20
   20

<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons/Proposing_a_hackathon#Hackathon_location_decision_process_for_2020>

Details about what it takes to organize a hackathon can be found here:

   -

   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons/Handbook
   -

   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons

CHANGES FOR 2019

   -

   Because of changes to the Wikimedia Foundation budgeting process, we are
   still working on confirming exact budgeting and requirements for this
   event. Generally we expect similar size and budget to previous years, but
   this is not finalized.
   -

   We are open & encouraging to bids from anywhere, but locations outside
   of Europe and the USA will be given extra weight.
   -

   Focus areas will be defined much further in advance, however
   participants can work on whatever they like related to Wikimedia Technology
   / Development.
   -

   We are continuing to work on changes around our newcomer support and
   onboarding as well as our mentoring programs - this will continue to
   develop until the event. At the same time we are still maintaining
   additional focus on providing a well-facilitated and organized meeting
   space for groups and the most active volunteers in the developer community
   to collaborate face to face, with appropriate representation of Foundation,
   affiliates, and volunteers, to discuss the future of Wikimedia technologies
   in depth.
   -

   We hope to expand our scholarship program to include more participants
   from outside of the USA and Europe.

Ideally we will announce the host for 2020 by the Prague Hackathon in May.
If multiple chapters or organizations are interested, we hope to work
together to figure out the the best solution.

Any organizations interested in hosting should please create a Phabricator
ticket and associate it with the #Developer-Relations project, or email
rfarr...@wikimedia.org with a proposal or questions. Srishti and I are
happy to assist in creating the ticket if needed.

Examples: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T162836,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96826,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127050

Please include as much information as possible from: Proposing a hackathon
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons/Proposing_a_hackathon>

Additionally if you are interested in working together on a smaller
technical event focused around newcomers in your region please also let me
know! We are in the initial stages of building a program around this.

Please email me at rfarr...@wikimedia.org with any questions or concerns. I
am not on the chapters@ list, so if there is anything that I should respond
to, make sure to keep me on CC.  Also please forward this email anywhere
you think it might be useful.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

--
Rachel Farrand