On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 8:32 AM Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Re other attempts - have you seen
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/core/+/65176/ ?

Thanks!  I had read the bug https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T5311 but
somehow missed that 2013 patch—the code review comments are really helpful.

One detail I should emphasize about my new proposal to use hard redirected
categories as aliases is that it's a terrible workaround at heart.  It
would be nicer if there were a formal way to alias categories, for example
a directive "#ALIAS_TO[[<category-name>]]" that could be used in category
pages.  What I'm proposing is that we introduce new behaviors for hard
redirects, and then agree that it's correct for articles to be categorized
permanently under these aliases, so that the alternative labels are
applied.  In previous discussion of hard redirects, an article categorized
under the redirect would still be "incorrect" and in a temporary state, to
be eventually recategorized under the alias's main category by bots like
RussBot.

-Adam