> I don't like these limitations either, but testing is an integral part
> of development, and we need to code in a way that facilitates testing.

This is especially true for e.g. static methods, but here we'd be
renouncing to a possibly useful feature.

> Why do methods ever "have" to be final?

If you want to make sure that any subclass won't ever change the
implementation of a method, and thus all callers know what to expect from
calling a final method.
I see finals as a sort of safeguard to help write better code, like e.g.
typehints.

> That would be a nice solution if it works well. If someone wants to
> volunteer to try to get it working, then we won't need to have this
> discussion. But until someone does, the question remains.

IMHO this would be a perfect compromise. I've filed T231419 for that, and I
also think that before discussing any further, we should try to see if we
can install that tool.

Il giorno mer 28 ago 2019 alle ore 09:30 Aryeh Gregor <a...@aryeh.name> ha
scritto:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:53 PM Daimona <daimona.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Personally, I don't like these limitations in PHPUnit and the like. IMHO,
> > they should never be a reason for changing good code.
>
> I don't like these limitations either, but testing is an integral part
> of development, and we need to code in a way that facilitates testing.
> In each case we need to make a cost-benefit analysis about what's best
> for the project. The question is whether there's any benefit to using
> final that outweighs the cost to testability.
>
> > And sometimes, methods have to be final.
>
> Why do methods ever "have" to be final? Someone who installs an
> extension accepts that they get whatever behavior changes the
> extension makes. If the extension does something we don't want it to,
> it will either work or not, but that's the extension's problem.
>
> This is exactly the question: why do we ever want methods to be final?
> Is there actually any benefit that outweighs the problems for testing?
>
> > Anyway, some time ago I came across [1], which allows mocking final
> methods
> > and classes. IIRC, it does that by removing the `final` keywords from the
> > tokenized PHP code. I don't know how well it works, nor if it could
> degrade
> > performance, but if it doesn't we could bring it in via composer.
>
> That would be a nice solution if it works well. If someone wants to
> volunteer to try to get it working, then we won't need to have this
> discussion. But until someone does, the question remains.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Daimona_Eaytoy
"Daimona" is not my real name -- he/him