Hello all,
Following our migration away from HHVM, we're now also requiring PHPUnit 6+
[0]. Previously, we were allowing PHPUnit 4 as an option, but that version
was EOLed in February 2017 [1].

MediaWiki core provides a backward/forward-compatible layer [2] to allow
working with both versions. However, that trait will be emptied and removed
soon, partly because we want to move to PHPUnit 8.

Hence, if you have a local install of PHPUnit 4, you won't be able to use
it anymore. I also invite you to check whether any of your repos has an
explicit PHPUnit dependency in composer.json [3]. If it does, you can now
remove PHPUnit 4 from it.

Thank you for your collaboration!

[0] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/core/+/426058/
[1] - https://phpunit.de/supported-versions.html