📘 Read on Phabricator at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/173/
-------

How’d we do in our strive for operational excellence last month? Read on to
find out!

## 📊 Month in numbers

* 5 documented incidents. [1]
* 22 new errors reported. [2]
* 31 error reports closed. [3]
* 213 currently open Wikimedia-prod-error reports in total. [4]

There were five recorded incidents last month, equal to the median for this
and last year. – Explore this data at https://codepen.io/Krinkle/full/wbYMZK

To read more about these incidents, their investigations, and pending
actionables; check
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation#2019

## *️⃣ A Tale of Three Great Upgrades

This month saw three major upgrades across the MediaWiki stack.

*Migrate from HHVM to PHP 7.2*
The client-side switch to toggle between HHVM and PHP 7.2 saw its final
push — from the 50% it was at previously, to 100% of page view sessions on
17 September. The switch further solidified on 24 September when static
MediaWiki traffic followed suit (e.g. API and ResourceLoader). Thanks Effie
and Giuseppe for the final push. – More details at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T219150 and
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T176370.

*Drop support for IE6 and IE7*
The RFC to discontinue basic compatibility for the IE6 and IE7 browsers
entered Last Call on 18 September. It was approved on 2 Oct (T232563).
Thanks to Volker Eckl for leading the sprint to optimise our CSS payloads
by removing now-redundant style rules for IE6-7 compat. – More at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T234582.

*Transition from PHPUnit 4/6 to PHPUnit 8*
With HHVM behind us, our Composer configuration no longer needs to be
compatible with a “PHP 5.6 like” run-time. Support for the real PHP 5.6 was
dropped over 2 years ago, and the HHVM engine supports PHP 7 features. But,
the HHVM engine identifies as “PHP 5.6.999-hhvm”. As such, Composer refused
to install PHPUnit 6 (which requires PHP 7.0+). Instead, Composer could
only install PHPUnit 4 under HHVM (as for PHP 5.6). Our unit tests have had
to remain compatible with both PHPUnit 4 and PHPUnit 6 simultaneously.

Now that we’re fully on PHP 7.2+, our Composer configuration effectively
drops PHP 5.6, 7.0 and 7.1 all at once. This means that we no longer run
PHPUnit tests on multiple PHPUnit versions (PHPUnit 6 only). The upgrade to
PHPUnit 8 (PHP 7.2+) is also unlocked! Thanks Max Sem, Jdforrester and
Daimona for leading this transition. –
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192167

-------

## 📉  Outstanding reports

Take a look at the workboard and look for tasks that might need your help.
The workboard lists error reports, grouped by the month in which they were
first observed.

→  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimedia-production-error/

Or help someone that’s already started with their patch:
→  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/pzVPXPeMfRIz/#R

Breakdown of recent months (past two weeks not included):

* February: 1 report was closed. (1 / 5 reports left).
* March: 4 / 10 reports left (unchanged).
* April: 8 / 14 reports left (unchanged). ⚠️
* May: The last 4 reports were resolved. Done!
* June: 9 of 11 reports left (unchanged). ⚠️
* July: 4 reports were fixed! (13 / 18 reports left).
* August: 6 reports were fixed! (8 / 4 reports left).
* September: 12 new reports survived the month of September.

## 🎉 Thanks!

Thank you, to everyone else who helped by reporting, investigating, or
resolving problems in Wikimedia production. Thanks!

Until next time,

– Timo Tijhof

-------

Footnotes: