Minerva has been available as a desktop skin available on
Special:Preferences for some time, however it has had a hard dependency on
the MobileFrontend extension due to its history - originally being part of
the MobileFrontend extension.

Thanks to much of the work inside Advanced Mobile Contributions
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Advanced_mobile_contributions>
the Minerva skin now has a soft dependency on MobileFrontend and will not
run MobileFrontend code if its not installed.

When operating in this mode, Minerva will operate in a simplified mode that
operates similar to the other skins Vector and Timeless. It will use jQuery
autocomplete for search and the watchstar code that lives in core. Features
such as reference popups, red link confirmation and overlays for talk and
languages will fall back to links.

The code for this change rolls out this week. The new code should only be
triggered on instances where MobileFrontend is not installed so should not
impact any wikis e.g. Wikimedia production.

This mode will not be enabled in any Wikimedia wikis, but my hope is that
it will help improve the skin architecture going into the Desktop
improvements <http://mediawiki.org/wiki/Desktop%20improvements>project
which will be targeting the Vector experience.

My hope is this project will allow us to apply the lessons we have learned
in Minerva to more generalised solutions that work on traditional skins as
well and will encourage editors to improve the many  templates that are not
compatible with skins like Minerva and Timeless when they operate in
responsive mode (some of which are slowly being collected in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Templates_that_are_not_mobile_friendly
).

You can help this effort by installing Minerva on your local wikis and/or
using Minerva as a desktop skin on production wikis where it's available
and reporting bugs as and when you find them. If you haven't used Minerva
skin on desktop in some time, I urge you to give a try. You will likely be
surprised by what you find.

If you are actively developing Wikimedia extensions but do not test
regularly with MobileFrontend, please do add Minerva as one of your test
skins, however please note that MobileFrontend does alter behaviour of all
skins (Vector for example ships additional responsive styles), so testing
on Minerva without MobileFrontend is not a sufficient substitute for
testing on Wikimedia's production wikis.

You can read more about the work that got us here at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T171000

Thanks for your time!