📘 Read on Phabricator at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/204/
-------

How’d we do in our strive for operational excellence last month? Read on to
find out!

## 📈   *Incidents*

4 documented incidents in July, and 2 documented incidents in August. [1]
Historically, that's on average for this time of year. [5]

For more about recent incidents see Incident documentation
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation> on Wikitech,
or Preventive measures
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/4758/> in Phabricator.

-------

## 📊   *Tre**nds*

Take a look at the workboard and look for tasks that could use your help.
→ https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimedia-production-error/

Summary over recent months:

   - ⚠️ July 2019 (4 of 18 tasks left): One task closed.
   - ⚠️ August 2019 (1 of 14 tasks left): *no change.*
   - ⚠️ September 2019 (3 of 12 tasks left): Two tasks closed.
   - October (6 of 12 tasks left), *no change.*
   - November (3 of 5 tasks left): *no change.*
   - December (3 of 9 tasks left), Two tasks closed.
   - January 2020 (5 of 7 tasks lef), *no change.*
   - February (2 of 7 tasks left), Two tasks closed.
   - March (2 of 2 tasks left), *no change.*
   - April (10 of 14 tasks left): One task closed.
   - May (7 of 14 tasks left): Four tasks closed.
   - June (10 of 14 tasks left): Four tasks closed.
   - July 2020: 13 of 24 new tasks
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s__D8Kd0xuQH/#R>
   survived the month of July and remain open today.
   - August 2020: 37 of 53 new tasks
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/hu1yhWu4sXkP/#R>
   survived the month of August and remain open today.

Recent tally:
72  open, as of Excellence #22
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/203/production_excellence_22_june_2020/>
(Jul 23rd).
-16  closed, of the previous 72 recent tasks.
+13  opened and survived July 2020.
+37  opened and survived August 2020.
106  open, as of today (Sep 23rd).

Previously
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/203/production_excellence_22_june_2020/>,
we had 72 open production errors over the recent months up to June. Since
then, 16 of those were closed. But, the 13 and 37 errors surviving July and
August raise our recent tally to 106.

The workboard overall (including tasks from 2019 and earlier) held 192 open
production errors on July 23rd. As of writing, the workboard holds 296 open
tasks in total. [4] This +104 increase is largely due to the merged backlog
of JavaScript client errors, which were previously untracked. Note that we
backdated the majority of these JS errors under “Old”, and thus are not
amongst the elevated numbers of July and August.

-------

🎉   *Thanks!*

Thank you to everyone else who helped by reporting, investigating, or
resolving problems in Wikimedia production. Thanks!

Until next time,

– Timo Tijhof

-------

Footnotes: