On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 10:47 PM Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 19:26, Tyler Cipriani <tcipri...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> * Can we do something to improve the speed from "a user notices an issue
>>> with the site" to "the right team/owner is aware of it and acts on it"?
>>>

>> Or can we do something to improve how many issues users notice? :)
>>

> As someone who's been around for a long time as an editor, I can say
> honestly that having most of the issues addressed before they hit the
> really big projects has resulted in a huge improvement.  The train really
> works, and the only challenge I really see is what Jon mentions in his
> original post.  Some of those issues aren't really that significant in the
> great scheme of things, but there's a big leap when something takes two
> business days to fix from the Tuesday deployment and two business days to
> fix from the Thursday deployment.
>
> It's not always possible for even the best developer and the best testing
> systems to catch an issue that will be spotted by a hands-on user, several
> of whom are much more familiar with the purpose, expected outcomes and
> change impact on extensions than the people who have written them or QA'd
> them.  That's why there will always be plenty of issues that are identified
> by users, and it is in no way a problem that a small number of them
> (compared to what we saw 10-15 years ago) get through to the end of the
> train before being identified as needing to be addressed (for different
> values of "addressed").

Thank you for this response! The train existed before I started thinking
about MediaWiki-software deployment. The impression that it has had a
positive impact on the number of problems seen by users is important
information. Your response is a fantastic answer to a different question
I wonder about a lot: why does the train process give us confidence in the
code being released?

The next part of that question is: are there ways we can gain this
confidence with less disruption? I'd be interested in trying to catalog the
types of problems that are only spotted by hands-on users in the interest
of seeing if patterns emerge.

Thank you again!
– Tyler