Le 20/07/2021 à 09:48, Riccardo Coccioli a écrit :
On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 3:38 AM Petr Pchelko <ppche...@wikimedia.org <mailto:ppche...@wikimedia.org>> wrote:

    *Alternative solutions*

    We could write a custom merge driver for RELEASE-NOTES which
    always puts ‘ours’ before ’theirs’,
    but I’m not sure the result will justify the investment.

Probably overkill for MediaWiki but I'd like to mention the way that Python developers (CPython) manages their release notes, in case it might be useful. The TL;DR is that each change has a unique valid reStructuredText file in a specific directory and then there is a tool to merge all changes when a release is made.

The full process from a contributor point of view is described in [1].
The tool used to both generate the change files and merge them into a release file is [2].

[1] https://devguide.python.org/committing/#updating-news-and-what-s-new-in-python <https://devguide.python.org/committing/#updating-news-and-what-s-new-in-python>
[2] https://pypi.org/project/blurb/ <https://pypi.org/project/blurb/>

OpenStack has a similar tool: reno. The doc has an overview of the requirements: https://docs.openstack.org/reno/latest/user/design.html <https://docs.openstack.org/reno/latest/user/design.html> and the usage doc for quick glance: https://docs.openstack.org/reno/latest/user/usage.html <https://docs.openstack.org/reno/latest/user/usage.html>

There is an a 30 mins presentation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEOGJ_h0Lx0 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEOGJ_h0Lx0>

Short of having to introduce a Python tool to the developers, maybe the PHP ecosystem has a similar tool?  Or we can reach out to other high traffic projects and see how they are managing their changelog and maybe forge a common tool.

Antoine "hashar" Musso