On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 12:52 PM Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> Will the content of this portal be translatable? How will the translation
> process work?

Yes, the portal is being designed with localization in mind. Our
intent is to register as a translatewiki.net (TWN) project to allow
translations of the English source content. We expect the translation
workflow to look much like the workflow for any software project at
TWN using GNU PO files as the translation dictionary. Our messages
will be using Markdown syntax rather than MediaWiki syntax for things
like links, bold, and italic. This is something that we will need to
document at TWN or elsewhere for translators.

We evaluated an existing plugin for translation of mkdocs projects in
our initial proof of concept work. The evaluation convinced us that
things could be made to work, but that we would need to create our own
plugin with changes intended to make it easier to integrate with TWN.
The current plugin work is tracked in
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T297168> and
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/wikimedia/developer-portal/+/747214/>.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Technical Engagement      Wikimedia Foundation
Principal Software Engineer                               Boise, ID USA