On Sun, 3 Apr 2022, at 17:57, Strainu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently seen some complaints from 2 users located in the same country
> that it takes about half a day for the Javascript changes to propagate. Users
> from different countries but similar user rights don't seem to have this
> problem.
>
> Is it possible to have different cache invalidation rules for different
> countries? If not, what else could cause this behavior?

It depends on what kind of changes and to what piece of JavaScript code.

My guess would be that this is a change not to deployed software or gadgets or
site scripts, but a user script. And that the user script is loaded by URL via
importScriptURI or mw.loader.load. And that the URL is non-standard (e.g. not
exactly /w/index.php?title=..&action=raw&ctype=text/javascript, but with other
parameters or different order or different encoding). This means that it is not
purged on edits.

In that case, it will stay cached. It might then be that someone near one data
center is lucky that the URL is not used there before and sees no cache. Or
that near another data center the URL is not popular enough to stay in the CDN
and thus falls out before the 7 day expiry despite no observed edit or purge.

To know for sure, I would need to see the specific script edit and how the
script is loaded.

-- Krinkle