Hi,

On 4/27/22 07:22, Niklas Laxström wrote:
Since the beginning of the year, the Wikimedia Language team has enabled translation backports for MediaWiki core, extensions and skins hosted on Gerrit. On a weekly schedule compatible translations from master branch are backpored to all the supported release branches. Currently supported branches are 1.35–1.38.

I believe I said this elsewhere, but this is AWESOME. Thank you and everyone else who worked on it.

Additionally, based on the feedback, we are planning to either mark the extension as unmaintained, transfer maintenance to a new maintainer, or request the extension to be archived and removed from the list of extensions bundled with MediaWiki core if there is no indication that anyone uses this extension.

I think it makes sense to unbundle from the tarball ASAP, for the reasons you mentioned and that it never really saw much uptake even after bundling.

Q: What about Wikimedia sites: does this mean they will not get frequent translation updates as they used to have?

A: We still think this is important, but we do not think the previous solution can be restored. We would like to collaborate on new solutions. One solution could be more frequent deployments.

I re-read through <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T206694> and I'm disappointed again at how long we've left l10nupdate functionality disabled. I don't really have anything else to say that hasn't already been said, other that I hope it'll be restored soon.

-- Legoktm