As for external use, it's very useful.  Before MW instrumented reverts, we
have ~20 years of revisions and we don't know which ones revert previous
revisions.  With the sha, we join and determine this information.  You can
see that code here
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/analytics/refinery/source/+/refs/heads/master/refinery-job/src/main/scala/org/wikimedia/analytics/refinery/job/mediawikihistory/denormalized/DenormalizedRevisionsBuilder.scala#201>,
and the use of sha1.