Hello all,

I'd like to talk about the default gallery settings, and the technical
feasibility of updating them.  By default in MediaWiki, they are 120 pixel
height, 120 pixel width:
*
https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki/blob/master/includes/SetupDynamicConfig.php#L115-L123
* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgGalleryOptions

This is, in retrospect, too small.  It's fine for something like a gallery of
simple images that display well at low resolutions like flags, but it's
woefully undersized for the far more common case of detailed artwork,
photographs, screenshots, etc.  Many other user-facing websites have adopted to
show larger pictures when possible, backed by consumer studies.  Other wikis
often increase the default gallery size.  200x200 would be a better default (or
possibly even larger!).

What would be required to merge a change of this?  Ideally for all WMF projects
on MediaWiki, or all Wikipedias, but the English language edition of Wikipedia
would also work.  There's an old Phabricator ticket filed in 2012 (!) asking
for permission to increase the Hebrew Wikipedia default gallery size:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T43712

And judging by the file currently used, it seems Swedish Wikipedia already has
a larger size:
*
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/operations/mediawiki-config/+/refs/heads/master/wmf-config/InitialiseSettings.php#11383

However, I was warned that it's possible the default image thumbnailer might
need to be updated to create thumbnails at whatever the new default is.
There's a 2013 comment in the above Phabricator thread saying that different
language editions shouldn't use different thumbnail sizes to prevent needlessly
creating tons of files.  That said, this ship has already sailed - tons of
galleries already custom-set larger sizes, and Module:Gallery on English
Wikipedia even tries to use 180x180 as the default for when people use a
template to create a Gallery.  More generally, what are the sizes of thumbnails
already created by default?  If there's truly a desire to not create a new
default image size, fine, let's set the gallery default to some value that's
already being created (say, 220x220?).  That won't cause any additional load,
then.  It might even reduce load, since fewer editors will feel the need to
adjust gallery sizes upward manually to random bespoke sizes.

I'd like to get this change eventually merged in.  If there's anything else
stopping just changing the above setting to a larger default, or stakeholders
who'd need to be convinced, would be happy to hear feedback.

(Context: We had a hacking night at the NYC Wikimedia chapter, and this list
was recommended as a good place to take the temperature of this proposal. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Hacking_Night_January_2024 .)

-SnowFire