So just for kicks, I tried using ffmpeg to convert a reasonably
high-bitrate HD Theora+Vorbis .ogv[1] to MJPEG+FLAC .mkv.

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AAlaskan_Huskies_-_Sled_Dogs_-_Ivalo_2013.ogv

Conversion test command:

for qual in 2 4 8 16 31
do
  ffmpeg -i 'Alaskan_Huskies_-_Sled_Dogs_-_Ivalo_2013.ogv' -c:v mjpeg -q:v
$qual -c:a flac q$qual-alaskan-huskies.mkv
done

The results play in VLC and look pretty good at quality levels 2 (best)
through 8 (middling), with a bitrate ranging from around 50-20 megabits/s;
past 8 it starts looking a bit uggy.

An MJPEG .mkv file can also be remuxed to .avi or .mov containers with no
further loss of video quality by copying the MJPEG frames as-is (or one
could produce an MJPEG .avi or .mov directly). This .mov file plays in
QuickTime Player on OS X 10.10 and in Windows Media Player on Windows 8.1:

  ffmpeg -i q2-alaskan-huskies.mkv -c:v copy -c:a pcm_s16le
alaskan-huskies.mov

If there's no patent impediment to using the QuickTime/MP4 *container*
format with MJPEG and PCM audio... might want to seriously consider that as
an archival format that should be usable directly in existing editing
software rather than fiddling with .mkv.

(I don't know if MJPEG can handle 10-bit video or full 4:4:4 chroma
sampling in an interoperable way, though, and something else might get
better compression ratios while maintaining quality.)

I'd put the actual demo files up for download as samples, but they're huge
and I'm low on space on my personal server. ;)

-- brion