On 20.8.2012 15:21, Andrew Murphy (home) wrote:
Hi

Have Strawberry Perl 5.16 with Windows Vista – all worked fine.

1)

Applied August Microsoft Security patches from Windows Update

Perl wouldn’t run.

2)

Googled – no mention of it.

3)

Uninstalled Stawberry Perl, and removed C:\strawberry

Installed latest version 5.16.1

Rebooted,

Perl still wouldn’t run.

4)

Went into Windows update, and backed out the security updates

Rebooted,

Perl now works fine (well, except for all the CPAN modules I have to re-install)

(Sorry, if were Unix, I could run truss to find out what the problem was, but
on Windows, I don’t know where to start....)

So it looks like something in the Windows Updates is causing a problem with Perl

Andrew

Unfortunately I do not have any Win Vista available for testing, however on my Win7 box with latest updates both 32/64bit 5.16.1.1 work fine.

Are you trying to use 32 or 64 bit strawberry perl?

Are you running any antivirus sw?

--
kmx