>> The enclosed * hack * allows wine photoed to load images.  It is * not *
>> the correct answer.  One possible approach is to modify DOSFS_OpenDir_Normal
>> to generate "proper" short names after it has read all the directory entries.
> Hmm, somehow I don't think this is a proper solution.
> The reasoning being that you probably have a Windows partition
> in your Wine install with that ~1 path buried somewhere in the registry
> or so.

I do.

> And IMHO if the registry contains such a setting (*from installation
> only* - a program most likely wouldn't create a ~1 .3 shortcut pathname
> on its own !), then we are SOL and probably should keep it like that instead
> of adding hacks that probably don't improve the code a whole lot.

Well ... the whole point of wine is compatibility, and in fact the
existing code in wine to handle 8.3 names can be view as a hack for
the sake of compatibility (long names good, 8.3 bad :-).  All I'm
suggesting is that the existing 8.3 code could be made more compatible.

It's really unfortunate that Solaris (as far as I can tell) doesn't have
a way reading the short filename from the DOS filesystem.

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |