Roger Young wrote:

I'm asking this question in the Development Forum, even though I'm not
a programmer, because I haven't had any useful replies from other Wine forums.

The problem occurs when performing a multidisk installation under Wine
from the home directory:

winex /cdrom/setup.exe

and the request "Insert CD#2" is made: how to respond to this? The
drawer won't open, so from the console I can try and unmount the
difficulty is that there are processes using the cdrom device, and
these have to be neutralized before the cd can be ejected. There
are about 6 processes being run by Wine. Unfortunately the install
program is one of these and it dies as well...

I have experienced this problem mainly with games, but it probably
applies to multi-cd utilities as well... Specifically I have been
unable to install:

Blade Runner
Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine
Discworld Noir

Could someone please explain what is going on?
Why does it (cd changing) succeed under Windoze but not under Wine?
Is there a fix (actual or planned) to this problem?

What version of Wine are you useing. Disk changing should not be a problem under the latest releases of Wine. I regularly use Riven which is a five disk set. In order to play the game I have to change disks when I move from one island to the next. I do recall that about a year ago that there was a problem in that Wine would not close off files so that umount would not work.

Now, even without automount this works. If you can mount the cdrom as a user you should be able to umount it when the program requests. WineX is a different flavor of Wine, So it may still have this problem. In other words if you have this problem when useing Wine then you should report it to http://bugs.winehw.org . Since you have this problem under WineX I guess you should be contacting Transgaming.

--

Tony Lambregts