One could just write a perl script to parse the code upon submission that would convert it from K & R style to a uniform standard that it easy to read, and fix things like the amount of spaces in an indent.

From: Peter Beutner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: James Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aneurin Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,wine-devel@winehq.org
Subject: Re: To K&R or not
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 01:49:55 +0200

James Hawkins schrieb:
On 6/3/06, Stephen Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Tabs are not forbidden but discouraged. A tab is defined as 8
>characters and the usual amount of indentation is 4 characters."

A tab is not defined as 8 spaces - it is defined as go to the next TAB
STOP! The tab stop
could be every 8 spaces or 4 spaces or 2 spaces or whatever has been
defined. The tab
comes from the manual typewriter and there were physical stops you
placed where
you wanted the carriage to stop at.

You misinterpreted the quote.  "A tab is defined as 8 characters"
means that when you're editing Wine code that has tabs in it, you
should set your editor to display tabs as 8 spaces so that we all see
the same indention from a tab.
hm but isn't it rather insane to require specific editor settings just to be
able to *view* the code?