[Winona Online Democracy]

Randy asked some great questions about the free market and new car technologies.

Of course that assumes we have anything remotely resembling a free market.

The theory is wonderful but look at Wall Street and Washington D.C.

Big business and big government (and big media) have morphed into something
that is anything but the free market.  Not even close.

We can not wait for or hope that General Motors and Exxon will do the right
thing.

Simply look at what General Motors did to the electric car in the 1990's and
the street car system in America in the first half of the last century.

General Motors and large agri-businesses need huge government subsidies in
order to survive.  That is not the free market by any measure.  (How about the
nation's defense contractors?  Where are the libertarians and fiscal
conservatives?)

My hope is for small business and small government (and small media).

I believe we have the local talent and resources in the greater Winona area to
build at least the blades (composite industries) for the large wind turbines,
if not other parts of the machines.

How about a local/regional business to produce a viable, four seat, electric
car?  If you do not need all the parts for the internal combustible engine, and
if you can buy the batteries from somewhere else, the other parts of the car
become much simpler.  If we don't do it ourselves, the Chinese and French will
gladly do it for us.  They already have models headed for the American market.

Using renewable and clean energy is one thing.  Producing it yourself is
another.  (That also goes for local food supply systems, another form of local
energy production and transfer.)  It's not just about clean energy, it's about
decentralized power systems; energy, food, democracy, et al.

I'm afraid we are jumping from the frying pan into the fire as we finally and
slowly begin to transition from fossil fuels to clean renewable energy.  Almost
all of the country's large wind turbine farms are owned by four super-large
corporations.  Ideally, those energy producing sites would be owned by local or
regional groups of farmers and business people.

One of the best lines from the video, "Who Killed the Electric Car," was from
the inventor who said something like this, if you want to start a revolution,
don't pick up a gun, invent a better way of doing things.  He had a deep faith
in science, technology, and human innovation.

Maybe a little bit naive but still a powerful bit of advice.

Can what remains of the free market and real democracy (and real media)
overcome the entrenched powers-that-be?

Dwayne Voegeli

March 2, 2007