[Winona Online Democracy]

Some years ago, here on West Broadway, after much rain, there was water in our basement. A number of tools and auto parts, stored in trunks and boxes on the floor, became wet and rusted. Our MetLife Homeowners policy paid for their replacement, minus the deductible of course. Check with your agency regarding your Homeowners policy for coverage on household items.

----- Original Message ----- From: "terri hyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <winona@mnforum.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2007 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Winona] Insurance/flood insurance

[Winona Online Democracy]

A couple of things:

In difficult circumstances like this, rumors and half correct information create a different kind of flood. I don't doubt what Linda was told, but I wonder who told her that a house had to be knocked off the foundation for flood insurance to kick in. It is important that people read their policies (that is fi they can find their policies--but contact the agent. A copy will be on file in the insurance office)

That said, some years ago when a storm dropped a 6 ton tree on my house, I found neither my local insurance agent nor the insurance adjuster to be at all helpful filing my claim. Instead, they seemed to be looking to avoid paying for as much of the claim as possible. Fortunately for me, the wonderful man who removed the tree from my home was knowledgeable about how to file an appropriate claim so that I paid only the deductible and not the cost of having a tree removed from my dwelling. My advice: read your policy and question EVERYTHING. Ask your contractors for help filing claims. If you need to, consult an attorney.

Here's what the FEMA site says about flood insurance:

QUOTE:
" Unlike a standard homeowners policy, flood insurance covers losses to your property caused by flooding.

Some of the things a standard flood policy will cover include:

   * structural damage
   * furnace, water heater and air conditioner
   * flood debris clean up
   * floor surfaces such as carpeting and tile

You can also buy a flood insurance policy to cover the contents of your home, such as furniture, collectibles, clothing, jewelry and artwork.

Policies are available in three forms: Dwelling (most homes), General Property (apartments and businesses), and Residential Condominium Building Association (condominiums).

It's important to know that if you have a federally backed mortgage on a home located in a high-risk area, federal law requires you to purchase flood insurance. Also, if you've received a federal grant for previous flood losses, you must have a flood insurance policy to qualify for future aid. "
END QUOTE

QUOTE:

What are the benfits of FLood Insurance?

Buying flood insurance is the best thing you can do to protect your home, business, family, and financial security from a flood.

When you are a flood insurance policyholder:

   * Flood insurance compensates you for all covered losses.
   * Coverage is relatively inexpensive.
* You can depend on being reimbursed for flood damages, even if the President does not declare a Federal disaster. * You do not have to repay a loan, as you might have to with many Federal disaster relief packages. Your covered losses are paid in full. * You can count on your claim being paid in the event of a flood loss because NFIP flood insurance is backed by the Federal government. * Your agent can help you handle your claim quickly, so that you will not have to put your life on hold if a flood damages your property. You can even request a partial payment immediately after the flood, which can help you recover even faster.
END QUOTE

Please read carefully:  the policy will only reimburse for covered losses.

QUOTE:

What to Ask Your Flood Insurance Agent

Keep these questions in mind as you visit with your flood insurance agent. Together, you will determine the flood insurance coverage that's right for you.

   * Does my community participate in the NFIP?
   * Can you confirm which flood zone I live in?
* Does my community participate in the NFIP Community Rating System (CRS)?
   * If so, what is my community's CRS rating?
   * Do I qualify for a CRS rating discount?
   * What exactly will be covered in case of flood damage?
* How will my premium costs be affected by choosing coverage for building only, contents only or building and contents? * How will my premium costs be affected if I choose a higher deductible?
   * What is the policy fee?
   * Are there additional expenses or fees I should be aware of?
END QUOTE

I don't blame people for being scared or angry or worried. I would like to say that I am very proud to live in a community where so many people are pulling together to help one another. It is impossible that people's lives will go back to the way they were 10 days ago.

I understand that people are skeptical about FEMA, but there is a wealth of information available at this site: http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/index.jsp

Terri Hyle