> Pardon me for jumping in, but if you're trying to keep traffic
> statistics while connected to a switch port (as opposed to a hub),
> how does your traffic statistic program convince the switch to
> forward all of the network's packets to its port?  I am far
> from expert in this area, but it seems to me that the switch
> would _have_ to "think" that machines of all active IP's existed
> on that leg, or it would never forward the packets to it.
> Isn't that why they call it a "switch" in the first place?
>
> This hint might shed a glimmer of light on the problem (and then
> again, it probably won't).

Rob yes to truly sniff all packets on a switch you would need to reply with
ARP's to requests for IP's that were not yours, then again it wouldnt really
be sniffing. I guess it depends if the switch decides whether to keep
multiple MACs for a certain IP. We tried a couple of switches and all
exibited the behaviour of ONE to ONE ARP -> IP mapping.

Secondly I'm not trying to get stats on ALL the machines on the switch, just
the IP's bound to a single machine with a single MAC. I never asked it to go
grabbing packets not meant for itself.