To: <winpcap-users@winpcap.polito.it>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 2:43 AM
Subject: RE: [WinPcap-users] Changing filter after reading doesn't discard old packets

I can see two reasons for that:

1. the winpcap driver is broken, and doesn't empty the kernel buffer when a
new filter is set. I'm pretty sure that the latest version (3.1b4) from the
WinPcap website behaves correctly from this point of view (i just cheked the
code), so you can try to install it instead of the 3.0 you're currently
using.
2. The driver does its job, but when you set a new filter you still have
some packets in the user-level libpcap-managed buffer, and libpcap doesn't
drop them. I think this is the most probable cause.

I'll try to analyze the problem better, meanwhile a quick hack is to close
the adapter and then reopen it before setting a new filter.

Loris