Hi,

The current approach is to queue all outgoing packets for an indefinite
amount of time when the peer is not connected or reachable.

I think it does not make much sense, and leads to the kind of issue you
mention here.  The initial goal was probably to queue packets just long
enough to be able to complete a handshake with the peer, which makes a lot
of sense (it would be annoying to drop the first packet of any outgoing
connection).  But the handshake should not take more than hundreds of
milliseconds.

Maybe Wireguard should drop packets from this queue after a few seconds?
Would it be hard to implement?

Baptiste