On Sun 2018-11-04 16:35:07 +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> FWIW, Ubuntu users got confused with reloading the kernel module (let
> alone systemd's view of units), so we wound up adding something a bit
> strange to the postinst:
>
> https://github.com/EggieCode/wireguard-ppa/blob/master/debian/wireguard-dkms.postinst#L36-L72
>
> Not sure that Debian would want to follow suite with such a thing though...

i like some of the ideas there, but i don't think i'd want it as-is, for
at least a few reasons:

 * the administrator's choice mechanism
  (/etc/wireguard/.reload-module-on-update) is rather idiosyncratic.
  Using a single boolean debconf question is probably a better approach.

 * echoing suggestions to stdout to rmmod/modprobe just before actually
   doing the thing seems like a recipe for it happening twice.  I think
   i wouldn't make that prompt if the administrator has already asked
   the system to do the upgrade.

 * i'm leery of the "systemctl daemon-reload" approach in particular, as
   mentioned above.  if lots of packages did that in their postinst
   they'd be interacting weirdly with each other during a multi-package
   upgrade.

thanks for the pointer though!

   --dkg