> > Does anyone know of an ethernet circuit finder.
> > Not a toner, since this requires to know both ends.
> > (and I only know the end in my equipment room)
> >
> > The idea is to be able to locate a "dead" Access-Point with wrong maps
> > by following the path of its ethernet cable.
>
> The only tool that I can think of that would be even remotely helpful
> is a TDR (time domain reflectrometer?). A TDR would tell you how long
> the cable is. You would then at least know approximately how far away
> the unit is. Any cable tester has that capability, as does Fluke's
> NetTool. Outside plant people use metal detectors to trace the path of
> conduit but that is essentially unusable inside a building. I'm afraid
> someone is going to have to tug a cable and watch for movement
> somewhere done the line and repeat until you find the dead box.
>
> Accurate maps are a good thing. Maybe we should lobby the vendors to
> include a GPS locator in each unit?

We find that accurate labels on the patch panels (and apropriate corporal
punishment for anyone who doesn't label the ports) goes a long way.

What kind of APs do you have?  If you have Cisco APs, you can blink
the lights on the AP with the command 'led flash' and turn it back off
with 'led flash disable'.  This would let you verify your maps.  Even
if your AP is dead, you could eliminate all the ones that are in the
correct location and narrow down your search for the missing one.

Do you have APs hidden above the ceiling or something where you can't
just walk around and look for them?

If the AP is up and working, you might try using Airmagnet or
Netstumbler to search for the wireless MAC address and go to where the

signal is strongest.

--
Earl Barfield  --  Academic & Research Technologies / Information Technology
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]