From: Phil Raymond [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 8:58 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless-only Dorms?

If someone forced me to assign a rule of thumb at this high level, I
would assign a conservative data rate of 1 Mbps to each student as a
requirement. For an 802.11g ONLY network running at the highest data
rate (aka strongest signal) using enterprise class AP's (data thruput
does vary between AP vendors, be careful here), you should expect to get
15-20 Mbps of upper layer thruput per AP. That would yield 15-20
students per AP. For 802.11a, this will probably hold. For 802.11g, due
to the limit of 3 channels, you will get an overall reduction in
capacity due to shared bandwidth between AP's in a densely deployed AP
environment.

Also, this assumes that you design the network for the highest signal
strength - a very important point. In most instances this won't be
possible due to the environment. Thus I would reduce the available
bandwidth by 33% and say that 10Mbps is available.

Hence I would go with the low end of 10Mbps available per AP.

To take this to a lower level of analysis, I would want to know what
applications the students would be running. Perhaps you use the analogy
of a low end DSL connection that provides 768Kbps downlink and 128kbps
uplink. Then you stick with the 1 Mbps/student and assume it supports
most if not all applications they will use. You might also consider a
swag at peak operating times (evenings) and assume ~50% of the available
students are online (simple queuing theory assumption). Then you could
say that a single AP would cover minimally 20 students. There is my rule
of thumb at this high level. I would consider it conservative if you
design the network properly.

In a typical dorm with a lot of walls (and bookcases...), you will
probably find that your coverage requirements and capacity requirements
will be in alignment (and thus balanced). What I mean by that is that
you will find that in order to provide a good signal in a dorm
environment you will need to place a denser AP deployment (due to the
thick walls, etc.). This means that as a consequence your capacity will
also be increased due to the denser deployment.

Other factors not considered here are the use of client cards.
Performance between different manufacturers (you get what you pay for)
will vary. Some cards will be noisy and interfere, others will have
higher SNR requirements, etc.

Hope this helps and not confuses - as I said, it is not a trivial
subject.