From: Wright, Donald [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri 10/19/2007 12:15 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Vendor Choice

We have been extremely satisfied with Aruba over the past 16 months we've had
them deployed on our network.  I'd like to comment on a few points from the

Whichever you chose, they are both overlays on you existing network.  Cisco is
still Airespace technology, no matter what name is on their boxes.  We have 900
APs/six controllers deployed completely over a Cisco infrastructure, no issues
whatsoever.

If you are looking to do role based access, Aruba is your vendor.  Their
controllers come with a built in firewall that lends itself perfectly for this
task.  We have different roles/policies based on university affiliation (staff,
student, faculty, guest) and by method of access (captive portal, WPA).
Straightforward, easy to configure.

I would like to know one feature that Cisco offers that is not available from
Aruba.  If someone knows of some feature, please let me know.

Lastly, reading the Cisco/WISM issues on this list makes me cringe.  Mainly,
from having dealt with the same type of issues in deploying "special function"
blades in our core 6000's.   As soon as I have an issue with one of my
controllers, I'll be sure to post here, but it hasn't happened yet.

Just my 2 cents,

Don Wright
Senior Network Engineer
Brown University