From: William M. Taylor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:00 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Proximity of access points - how close together?

We're placing some "air monitor" access points (receive-only, never
transmit)
near existing infrastructure APs.  The question has come up of how close
these
air monitor APs can be to the infrastructure APs (both are Aruba AP70).  We
want the air monitors to be able to hear everything the infrastructure APs
transmit so we're concerned about a "cone of silence" around the
omni-directional antennae of the infrastructure APs.  Also concerned about
too
strong a signal overwhelming the air monitors.  We'll do some testing
ourselves
to try to understand the limits but does anyone else have experience with
APs
in close proximity to each other?

Punch Taylor
Computer Science Dept