College

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nathan Hay
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 7:10 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] 802.11n WPA2/AES requirement

>From my testing and from the systems engineer of the vendor's equipment
that I was testing, an 802.11n client with WPA2/AES can connect at
802.11n rates, but if that same 802.11n client connects using WPA/TKIP,
it gets a/b/g rates even though client and AP are both 802.11n.  So yes,
an N client can connect to an N AP with WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES, but the
max data rate will be different (54 vs. 300).  Based on this, we plan to
migrate to WPA2/AES on our current a/b/g network to prepare for the
mixed environment we will have next school year.  We plan to deploy
802.11n in a new building that opens next school year and maybe in one
or two other buildings, but the majority of our buildings (including all
dorms) will be a/b/g.

Hope that helps,

Nathan

Nathan P. Hay
Network Engineer
Computer Services
Cedarville University
www.cedarville.edu <http://www.cedarville.edu/>

>>> Keith Moores <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/16/2008 4:04 PM >>>
Just wondering what encryption type those of you that have started
moving to (testing with) 802.11n APs are using?

I'm trying to confirm that N clients connecting to N APs must use WPA2/
AES to connect with encryption.

If an N AP accepts both WPA/TKIP and WPA2/AES can an N client connect
set to either albeit only at 802.11n HT rates when using WPA2/AES?

-Keith