Added a couple of notes to Frank's message below...

 Jon

303-808-2666

Xirrus(tm) Array...the Air  is the Network(tm)...visit us at www.xirrus.com

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Frank Bulk - iNAME
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:03 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] many clients, one room

John:

Thanks for responding.  Two points:

-       It's not reasonable to ignore retransmits.  One of Meru's key
technology strengths is its claim to pseudo-schedule client access.  This
reduces retransmits due to collisions (JON - true but what they don't point out
is that this is similar to the 11g collision avoidance technique already part
of the spec - I've not seen them argue they do any better than 22Mbs which is
only a 10% difference resulting in a few seconds difference from the calculated
result, not enough to compare to the 4 times faster demonstrated).  Meru argues
(and the last Novarum study appeared to demonstrate) that in dense client
situations Meru's approach provides a higher aggregate throughput per AP (JON-
as noted in my last comment, this may be, but the small percent difference
can't come close to lighting up more total channels).  If you recall one of the
first graphics on their web site many years ago was of a chart with the number
of clients along the x axis and aggregate throughput along the y-axis.  I don't
want to ignore the fact that the other vendors involved in Novarum's test
didn't have an opportunity to optimize their product or want to participate,
but not unlike ATM and Token Ring, it appears that Meru's approach, in
situations of high client density, should outperform the "traditional" approach
(JON - actually the opposite is true as the stand alone AP environment offers a
new pool of capacity per AP where the Meru blanket approach only offers a
single pool of capacity across multiple APs that everyone share, in effect
creating a single hub for the entire area of coverage that is only 3 channels
in size, so depending on the size of the coverage area the Meru approach could
provide a significantly less amount of total bandwidth).  In other words, in
the PowerPoint scenario you described, Meru would do better than their
competitors (JON - yes, this is true for everyone except the example used for
the Xirrus Array which provides 4 times the speed, and since we're talking
about classroom teaching time this difference is significant in terms of impact
on the learning effect of students).  Their competitors would argue that the
network should be designed differently.....(JON - actually most competitors
might say that you can't support this number of people in a closed space since
they will deal with near field interference issues)

-       More (non-overlapping) channels is almost always better (JON - we agree
on this point completely).  The enterprise WLAN vendors could stack multiple
APs on top of each other, each operating at one or more non-overlapping 5 GHz
frequencies, but omni-directional antennas will make channel planning difficult
(JON - actually the planning would be more likely impossible as any APs placed
in close proximity would cause each other near field interference, like what
you hear when your cell phone is near your telephone, both operate on
difference frequencies but their close proximity causes interference...the
Array has several passive and active technologies that eliminate this problem,
a benefit of integration that can't be solved by stacking APs, anyone who's
tried stacking can offer their experience).  Xirrus does a nice job of
packaging that up, and it's directionality increases coverage and limits
co-channel interference with neighboring arrays. (JON - agreed, and thank you!)

My summary viewpoint: most enterprise WLAN vendors have been able to avoid the
channel-stacking and co-channel interference challenges because actual usage
levels have been low, they haven't had to worry about it (JON - true but we're
seeing this problem coming to a head in about 30% of the Wi-Fi implementations
today with a very rapid growth).  They've been granted a reprieve with 802.11n
(JON - .11n is now set for ratification in 2009, it does provide a good
indication of the need for speed if you review the level of interest, FYI - the
array with .11n will provide fast Ethernet switch replacement speeds - 12/24/48
port speeds, allowing you to get the switch benefit without the costs of the
wires).  While one might be tempted to say that this will catch up on them, I
believe that raw speed will continually increase, either through more efficient
modulation schemes or smart antenna technologies.  It's a little like
enterprise-deployed Ethernet - we generally don't deploy QoS in our network, it
was cheaper to go from hubs to switches, 10 to 100, 100 to 1000 Mps, and later,
it will be 10 Gbps.  It's a "lazy" approach, but it deals with usage and
service level issue problem 99.99% of the time.  (JON - you might see it
differently when you consider having a .11n solution that replaces your wired
switches - so, it's not just about organic growth but a paradigm shift in
connectivity that matches the shift from desktops to mobile laptops - most
would agree that mobile laptops with a wired "leash" deflates some/most of the
value of being a mobile user)

Frank