-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian J David
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:35 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Open source code for AP's

I was wondering if there are other schools who have deployed or where
thinking of deploying open source code flashed access points.
The students want wireless in the dorms as you all know but because of
budget and time we are looking into some alternative temporary
solutions,
like dd-wrt flashed linksys access points. We where thinking of
deploying a
pre-configured AP with the antenna power setting set to it's lowest
power
level and a few other minor configuration. I know this could be a
challenge
in managing these devices (although they have appliances/software out
there
that can manage them). If we could give the students an alternative to
bringing into their dorm a rogue AP until we can get a permanent
wireless
infrastructure the benefits "could" out weight the headaches.
Comments?

Brian J David
Network Systems Engineer
Boston College