AIM: WLANstan  Yahoo!: WLANstan  MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Barber, Matt [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:13 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Disabling 1, 2 Mbps- revisit

Hi Lee,

We have been running with the 1 and 2 Mbps data rates disabled for quite some
time.  The Meru stuff lets us do it by ESS, which actually ended up being very
helpful because of one issue I found.

We have a separate SSID for devices (iPods, gaming consoles, etc) that is using
WEP.  I started off having the 1 and 2 data rates disabled on this SSID as
well, until I found that the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS did not like it.  In
doing a packet capture over the air, the Wii would just sit there doing probe
requests, get probe responses from the APs, but then just keep on probe
requesting.  It would never try and associate.  Turning the low data rates back
on for this ESS resolved the issue.

I contacted Nintendo about it and they said I may be correct, but said they
didn’t understand why I would want to turn those data rates off.

Those were the only devices I found that had any issue.  In general, I see the
same things as you in terms of clients not connecting to distant APs.

Take care,

Matt Barber
Network Analyst / PC Support
Morrisville State College