Brian,

We have experienced the same issue during the last month.
A colleague of mine mentioned that iTunes Library sharing
was now ON by default...it could explain a lot!
We still have a large layer2 subnet (1000 APs, 4000 users in one
subnet...a monster) to provide roaming and, lately, have
been killed by Broadcast and Multicast Packets.

In a desperate measure we have blocked (yesterday) on our Fat APs (Proxim
AP-2000 and 4000)
Multicast (IP range filtering) , IPv6 (Ethertype) and Netbios Name Service
(port 137) and Netbios Datagram (port 138).
Broadcast packets went during peak from 80 Packets/s to 30 Packets/s
and Multicats packets went from 150 Packets/s to 10-20 Packets/s.

Our dormatories, based a Aruba controller Architecture, have /24
subnets. No symptoms, no filtering there.

We will revert this measure as soon as we upgrade our main campus
wireless to a Controller Based Architecture with small subnets.

So far not too many HelpDesk Calls...

Philippe

----------------------------------
Philippe Hanset