though.

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Timothy Payne
Sent: October 27, 2008 10:36 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] NAC Replacement?

Good Morning!

I also sent this message to the NETMAN list, so if you are receiving it
twice, I apologize...

There was recently a thread on the Wireless-LAN listserv about what colleges
are using for wireless NAC.  I have a follow up to that discussion that I
hope other schools can help me with.

We are currently at a point of needing to either replace our Brandford
Campus Manager hardware, or move to a new product.  Our goal is to require
registration on dorm wired network, and all wireless networks on campus.  My
issue right now is timing...I've been asked to give management the following
by Friday:

1) Is there another product that we need to evaluate in-depth as a possisble
replacement for Brandford?

2) If so, what are ballpark pricing numbers for a new system, as compared to
the cost of buying the new Bradford servers?

We are an all-Cisco shop...WLC 4400s for our wireless, and enterprise
switches for the wired LAN.  Our enrollment is around 2000 students, and
staff and faculty is another 1200.  I have the following products on our
'short list', though I would be open to looking at other products as well.

Bradford Campus Manager (the incumbent)
Cisco Clean Access
Impluse Safe Connect
IDEngines (though I've heard they are going out of business.  Can anyone
confirm or deny that?)

My ultimate goal is an 802.1x solution that easy for the user community,
which I know is asking for a lot.

Any assistance you can provide in answering the following questions would be
great:

1) What product do you recommend (or which should I avoid)?  Why?

2) Does it run in-band, or out-of-band?  The college would prefer something
that is a fail-open product in the event of a problem.

3) Do you recall the pricing when you purchased it, and how much is annual
maintenance?  Do you have a good sales contact we could connect with to get
ballpark pricing QUICKLY?

Thank you for your assistance!

--
Tim Payne, CISSP, CCNA