I know that a service provider vendor, Calix, also has a GBIC to do this.

It's not an uncommon thing to do anymore.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of acarl...@hot.rr.com
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 11:09 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Single mode/single fiber connectivity options?

Hi,

I need to connect a building to our campus that is about 5-6 miles away. We
will be leasing a single mode fiber connection to the location, and
connecting a Cisco 3750 stack back to our Core 6509. Using a single fiber
instead of a dual fiber connection will save us $12,000/yr.

In looking of ways to do this (connecting GBIC in the core to the SFP in
the 3750), I came accross the following:

http://www.championone.net/pdfs2/SingleFiber40km.pdf

They have a single mode/single fiber GBIC that can connect to their single
mode/single fiber SFP. I called the company, and they said the applicaiton
should work, we would just need to add an antenuator to the fiber
connection since it is rated for 40 km.

Has anyone used this company, or have other ways of making this connection.

Thanks,
Alan Carlson