Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:09:59 -0600 From: Rob Crockett
<crocke...@obu.edu> Subject: Cisco Aironet 1140 vs 1250

I'm interested in knowing experiences others have had in deploying
the = new Cisco Aironet 1140s.

I've got an AP1140 for eval and the biggest reason that I haven't done
more with it is because it requires version 5.2 software on the Wireless
Lan Controllers.  Look back a month or so in the list archives for the
religious wars about 4.2 vs 5.x, etc.

The AP1142 is more aesthetically pleasing and a bit cheaper than the
AP1252 so I'm sure we'll end up using them eventually just like we
switched from AP1200 to AP1130s when the AP1130s came out.  It's just a
matter of getting to the 5.2 code, which has some significant changes in
how you select which APs carry which SSIDs.  WLAN override is either
gone or different in 5.2.  I think you're supposed to use WLAN AP Groups
instead.

The Cisco PWRINJ3 power injectors that we use for the AP1200 and AP1130
do not work with the AP1140 so you have to buy the more expensive
PWRINJ4 unless you have 802.1af capable POE switches or some other power
injector (mid-span) solution.

Also, there is no IOS (thick) version of code for the AP1140 which makes
site-surveying with it considerably more difficult.  I guess you have to
lug a controller around with you or otherwise arrange for connectivity
from a survey AP back to a controller.  Alternatives there include
predictive site surveys, surveying with an AP1250 and hoping that they
are similar, or just guessing at AP placement.

BTW, there is a pricing promotion on the ten-pack of AP1142s through the
end of April.  I think it's 10% off on the APs but the power injectors
are not discounted so its a little less than 10% off overall.

--
Earl Barfield -- Academic & Research Tech / Information Technology
Internet: earl.barfi...@oit.gatech.edu    e...@gatech.edu