I was told that the 500 AP support will come with the next major release of
code (7.0?). Then again, given that the initial controller hardware buy-in is
so low (it's the same hardware no matter what the initial AP count), small
sites may find that two 5508s, with 250AP each, more appealing than one
monolithic 5508 with 500 APs.

Also of interest in the 6.0 code... While the 5508 can download code to 100 APs
at a time (traditional upgrade method), there is a new feature in 6.0 which
allows for pre-loading of the AP code. Basically, you load 6.0 in the WLC then
tell the APs to download the new AP code (they stay connected and up). Then,
when the controller is rebooted, the AP's swap between the older IOS image and
the pre-loaded new IOS image. Should make controller/AP upgrades much less
disruptive.

Jeff

>>> James Nesbitt <n...@duke.edu> 6/8/2009 11:19 AM >>>
Originally it did support 500 APs.  Through a code change this number
was reduced to 250 because of some errors when approaching 500, but
the beta hardware had a 6 core cpu, not the 10 core that's in the
final version.

James Nesbitt
Wireless Engineer
Duke University