Folks,

We have received this e-mail from our help desk this morning who is
reporting an interesting trend.  Before I go spend a lot of time working
with vendors on this, I wanted to see if anyone else has seen similar
behavior.  The chipset is the RealTek RTL8192E.

See the e-mail from our tier 2 helpdesk below:

The Help Desk has recently helped 3 customers at our front desk with new
Toshiba Satellite laptops, and none of them were able to connect to the
ubcsecure (802.1x /w PEAP) network.

2 of the 3 laptops are confirmed to be using the RealTek RTL8192E
wireless chipset. We were only able to locate a single version of the
wireless drivers on both the Toshiba and RealTek websites, so we were
not able to try updating the drivers. We did not obtain the
model/chipset information for the third laptop - we know that it uses a
RealTek wireless chipset, but we cannot confirm the chipset model
number.

On the 'ubc' SSID (captive Cisco web-auth portal), we had better success
using Toshiba's wireless configuration utility ("ConfigFree") to
connect. When we disabled ConfigFree and used Windows to connect to
'ubc' it would usually fail. In the end, all 3 laptops were able to
connect to 'ubc'

On 'ubcsecure' (802.1x), none of the 3 laptops will connect. With
ConfigFree disabled and using Windows to connect, Windows will
repeatedly prompt the user for the username and password for
authentication, even though the username and password are correct.
Checking the settings for the 'ubcsecure' wireless profile reveals
nothing to be wrong with the settings. We have not tried the Autoconnect
utility, but we will try this if we encounter this situation again.

All 3 laptops have rather limited wireless driver options:

- "802.11d" which is disabled

- "Beacon interval" which is set to 100

- Another setting for the power output, which is set to "Auto". We tried
"100%" on 1 of the laptops with no success.

Here are the model numbers for 2 of the 3 laptops:

Toshiba Satellite U500 - PSU52C-00N003

Toshiba Satellite L510 - PSLF2C-01600G

Thanks

Ian Procyk,